Wednesday 9 November 2011

NaNoWriMo Update and Excerpt


By the time this post is published, I'll probably be well into the ninth day of NaNoWriMo. To say that it's challenging would be the understatement of the year. My fingers hurt from typing eleven hours a day (my job involves a lot of typing), my brain hurts from thinking for at least five of those eleven hours, my back hurts from bad typing posture and to top it all off I am NOT making word count (due to busy social life. Ha!). Besides these gripes, I'm having a great time. It's such fun to write and also to be able to connect and share the experience with other writers. I'm yet to pluck up the courage to go to a write-in close to my place but am hoping to do so in the near future.

To show that I haven't been slacking off, here is a short summary and excerpt from the first chapter of Seeder's Poison:

Summary:

Aurora (Rory) Gray knows only one truth: There are no good Seeders. Six years ago the Seeders killed Rory's mother. Now they are withholding seeds and supplies from Region 4, because one starving farm boy couldn't help but take fruit from an abundant harvest. The Seeder's Rules are simple. Nine citizens from the offending region must make the journey to the Citadel where they will be rewarded with enough seed and food to last the coming year. Whether they make it there alive is another matter.
       Chosen for the Wanderer half that she has been shunned for her entire life, Rory must make the journey through uninhabitable terrain, unimaginable terrors and unspeakable truths to pay back a debt that has been plaguing her for longer than she cares to admit. Staying alive is hard enough but trying to keep her companions alive too, especially when she would sooner shoot some of them full of poisoned arrows, is unbearable.
        But Rory knows what she must do. She's trained for this moment for years. For the Citadel may mean certain death, but it also means viable seeds. Enough to undo the poison the Seeders have planted in all the forest between the regions. Enough to cut the web of dependency the Seeders have so carefully woven. Enough to start the revolution her mother died fighting for. 

Excerpt:

I grasp my step brother’s arms tightly and attempt to extract him from the clutches of the Seeder Cleansing Squad. They come for him in the middle of the night, just as they did for my mother. Shrouded in forest green cloaks, hooded and exuding despair, they clutch at him, their movements slow but purposeful. A silver fog hangs in the air surrounding them, its damp density cloying at my throat. There are four Seeders, each one at least seven foot tall and built like a brick silo. Mangled claws sit where their hands should be and a tug either way causes serrated nails to tear at Mikey’s flesh. Within seconds, blood runs slick between where our limbs meet and the Seeders pry him away. Only then does my gaze lift to their faces, half obscured in their hoods, and I’m struck dumb by the abomination of them. A mishmash of skin and cartilage, of various tones, stretched and clumsily grafted over red raw muscles. 
            In their arms, Mikey’s eyes become wide and he screams my name again and again. Confusion engulfs me because I know I should be running for him. But there is no fight in me. Below the ample folds of the now blood stained azure gown that I wear, my legs refuse to cooperate. Instead, I cover my ears from the onslaught of his desperation, but even then I can’t escape his tortured pleas of ‘Rory, help me! Rory, don’t let them take me please!’  The sound become tremulous, a quivering vibration that tears through me and suddenly it’s not my name that I hear but a jarring wail that could disturb the hibernation of a winter worn bear. Even half asleep I recognise the warning. How could I not when my chest constricts so tightly upon hearing it?

There you go guys, I'm not as slack as I thought!

24 comments:

  1. Wow!! I want to read the whole book! I really enjoy the concept of the book! You are doing great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH!!!! I love this so much. Amazing. I actually started feeling a little scared and sad with a tingly feeling all over my body. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting summary. I would love to read the whole thing one day ^__^ Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWIE ZOWIE, LAN! I think your writing amazes me even more every single time! It was vivid and powerful and very descriptive, and I honestly can't wait to see your name on the shelves so I can read your full book (and say that I was one of the first bloggers to stalk your blog LOL!)! ;)

    Awesome job with NaNoWriMo, Lan! I'm rotting for you all the way through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept, and the excerpt is amazing. It's spine tingling. I love it. You're doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about the world-building of this, as it sounds really original. Who are these Seeders and why do they control all the seeds? Does the story take place on Earth or a fantasy world?

    That's some great writing, too. I only wish my technical writing skills were so developed by now. Sounds really good, so keep it up, Lan. I want to read this someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is SO going to make it. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ang & Amy: Thanks so much. Right now I'm really enjoying writing but it gets a little isolated :)May ask for some beta readers after NaNo if you're interested!

    Sherre: Just the reactions I wanted! Am go glad you guys like it.

    Mimi: You're so sweet. My original stalkers will get credit for sure if this book ever goes anywhere. Especially since you guys supplied some of the names for my characters!

    Jessica: Thanks! I keep stalking NaNo and looking at all your word counts and I'm not even close. It's amazing how far behind you can get after only a few days off. Am planning a big catch up this weekend.

    Cathy: The book is a dystopian set in this world. Probably in Australia because well, I'm Australian! It's loosely based on some things that are happening right now in the food industry. you'll get to read it for sure when I send it to you for critiquing!!

    Jenny: Thnaks! That means so much coming from you because I know how you and I are about books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea, Lan I'm so happy for you this sounds awesome. I loved the summary and the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ash: I'm glad you're not apathetic to it the way you were with THG because it's very much in that vein.

    Karen: Thanks! I'm hoping to finish it soon and start shopping it around....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lan- I could kind of sense that, but it sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ash: LOL! The story is completely different but the feel is very much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lan- That kind of came out wrong. I'm totally just gonna shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ash: I get what you mean. It's okay. I'm going for a THG feel anyway so if it reminds you of it than I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The excerpt is amazing! I've added you as a buddy on NaNo. I'm shyngr8 on there.

    Emma (Books, Coffee & Anything Crafty)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emma: Thanks! I've added you as well. I know it's hard to keep going when you're not prepared but stick with it! After the first 5,000 words, the story practically writes itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that sounds so exciting!!! Write on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely Lan! I would love to be a beta reader, possibly we could exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I died when you said that after the first 5,000 words the story writes itself. Thats sooo far, and I have 0 words!!!! Ha! Like I said, i'll get started soon (i'm really hoping for my new computer around christmas, already asked mom for one so we'll see, and the first thing I'll do when I get it is start on my book...oh and blog a little bit because I just cant not blog!)

    Anywho, keep me in mind for the beta reader/critique/anything you need in terms of this book. I am in love and cant get enough. I think I'd probably be that person who would read it and claim it's because I want to help when in fact I'm reading it because I cant get enough. The fact that I'm helping is just a technicality. (probably shouldnt have mentioned that, pretend you didnt read that. ha!)...did I mention that i'm exhausted and that's why I'm rambling. I have to stay up because I'm at work, so you're the lucky person who gets my rambles...soooo, how are you? what are you doing? having fun? Okay I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounding REALLY good, Lan! I'm looking forward to reading more. :) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lan, this is an extremely interesting concept and from what I can see from the excerpt you're going to do something outstanding with it. Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sherre: I can think of nothing worse than not having access to a computer with internet. I was without it for a few days and went crazy. Am feel free to ramble as much as you like!!

    BJ: I think I'm starting to get writers fatigue but I'm forcing myself to keep up with you guys.

    Michael: Thanks for the encouragement. I know YA isn't your thing and I'm glad you found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lan: I do it all the time, and it's frustrating. My current home computer works but the internet is so slow you feel like you're going brain dead, and you can forget about watching television shows, those wont even load!

    Oh and dont worry about you'r story sounding like the other one. I dont know of any story that isn't at least a bit like another. Besides, yours is different, and better!

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)