Saturday 21 January 2012

Review: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

The Story:
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for magic . . .

One moment magic dominates, and cars stall and guns fail. The next, technology takes over and the defensive spells no longer protect your house from monsters. Here skyscrapers topple under onslaught of magic; werebears and werehyenas prowl through the ruined streets; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds. In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, she must choose to do nothing and remain safe or to pursue his preternatural killer. Hiding is easy, but the right choice is rarely easy . . .


My Thoughts:
Sex, swearing and carnage galore. We're not in YA territory anymore my friends and I am really happy about it. There's something to be said about books that are written simply and yet are able to completely draw you in. Ilona Andrews probably won't win any awards for the most lyrical writing, but she (or should I say they because it's a wife and husband writing duo?) sure knows how to tell a story.
       Magic Bites is nothing short of a joy to read. It drops you right in on the action and doesn't wait for you to catch your breath and get with the program. Andrews has created a unique world where magic and technology war for supremacy and it seems as if magic is winning. The world building in Magic Bites is multi layered and may be a bit confusing if urban fantasy isn't a genre that you're familiar with. There were a few continuity issues with the plot which some might find a bit jarring, but I was able to look past them.
       Kate Daniels is exactly the kind of tough as nails heroine that I'm into and I thoroughly enjoyed her witty banter in many situations where I could see other heroines shrinking away from. And then there's Curran. *Cue stupid grin* It's so refreshing to read about a building attraction based on something other than physical appearance. Curran is not sweet or soft in any way but he also doesn't underestimate Kate and even better Kate wouldn't stand for it.
      Overall, I really enjoyed Magic Bites and it is the first book in a long time where I can't wait to read the next in the series.

The Rating:
9/10

19 comments:

  1. Looks like good fun, Lan. Maybe there are copies at Of Science And Swords bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already read the second book and can't wait for the rest. It's been a long time since I've been this interested in a series.

      Delete
  2. This is going on my TBR. Sounds good! Also, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be disappointed Samantha! Hope you get to it soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as Urban Fantasy is my favorite genre, I'll have to try this one. Plus you recommend it so it's got to be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hooked on this series. And yes, I recommend it therefore it must be good :)

      Delete
  5. That's great that you finally really like a book you've read! Maybe your reading slump is over? I'm probably too prudish to read this book, and most UF's with female protags don't interest me anyway, but I'm glad you found something really cool and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think my reading slump is over and the solution is less YA a more adult stuff. There seems to be much less Too Stupid to Live in adult books.

      Delete
  6. Yay sex, yay swearing, yay carnage! I think I need to start reading less YA as well. I've been reading some adult sci fi lately and it makes me SO much happier, haha. I'll have to check her book out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I'm so happy that you're finally getting out of your reading slump, Lan! :) Just the fact that you adored this book so much makes me really want to pick it up -- that added to the fact that the romance between Kate and Curran sounds so refreshing compared to so much YA out there! And I LOVE that this was written by a wife and husband duo! I don't think I'd ever be able to co-write something with my future husband -- I'm too picky when it comes to my stories LOL! x)

    Awesome review, Lan! I want to read this book now so I can be as excited for the second book as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, i just bought it. We're flying out to Samoa for one week and Im taking my Kindle...filled with books. I liked your review and if i hate the book? Then I might have to send Hugh Jackman after you - all Wolverine style...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a series I've been meaning to try for ages - I actually borrowed it from the library once, but never got around to reading it and had to return it unread. I'm so glad you liked it, because I'd gotten the sense from other reviews that the series didn't take off until the 2nd or 3rd book. Hopefully this means the next books are even better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *happy dance* I have read this series five times, own all the books, and will never, ever, get enough Kate and Curran.

    The energy and enthusiasm of these stories draw me in every time, and the way the characters evolve - and the slowly evolving relationships - hit all my happy-reader buttons.

    Looking forward to further reviews of the series - it gets stronger and better with every book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed! This is my fav ongoing Urban Fantasy. It doesn't hurt that the series takes place in the ATL, which I am not all that far from. Though Kate is my favorite part of the series hands down! So glad you enjoyed it.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my absolute favorite series! Curran makes an awesome hero. He's protective of Kate, yes, but he also gets that she's strong enough to handle herself. He doesn't try to lock her away in some protected castle for her own safety. I wish more heroes were like him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaah! I literally just started this book! I wasn't sure if I should read your review yet since I'd just started the book, but I'm so glad I read your review! I'm so stoked to read the book now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curran. *cue HUGELY stupid grins and more grins* LOVED the book. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ms. Andrews has done a wonderful job on her debut in urban fantasy. I loved this book. The action was great, the characters were great and the story just swept me away from the first page to the last. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series and can't wait to be reunited with so many of the great characters in this book and looking forward to meeting new ones.

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)