Wednesday 3 December 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group: On Writers


Insecure Writer's Support Group is a blog hop hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh where totally insecure writers can get together and share the things that are making us go argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          This month I've decided to take a break from talking about my (unending) insecurities and in the spirit of thanksgiving (which we don't celebrate in Australia but I'm appropriating anyway!) I wanted to talk about something that has amazed me since I first started trying to be a writer. That thing just happens to be other writers. I'm not sure if I just came at this writing game in a very business minded way but I fully expected writing to be like any other close guarded business in which people hoarded their knowledge and skills in order to get ahead. What I found was a community of people (IWSG is a prime example) who couldn't be more willing to lend a hand. There are writers I know who have read my MS three or four times without complaint and have helped shape my story in ways I never could have imagined. I've read copious advice blogs written by writers solely for the purpose of helping others.
         That's why this month I just want to say thank you to all the writers out there who are making the world of writing a little bit easier for insecure newbies like me!

5 comments:

  1. Writing is such a different business, and that's a good thing. The support here is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least there's something we can say about this whole insecure process of writing that's really great, and that's the other insecure writers we can bond with! I love how many helpful people are out there and how many are willing to share their difficulties with others. That's the way it should be, so we're getting something right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the support and all those great articles/advice all provided for free :). Great post, Lan! I definitely agree and am thankful as well for other writers. Hope you're doing well.
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blogging community is SO supportive. I'm so glad I found all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is amazing how the internet has revealed the number of people who are simply interested in sharing their experience and information. Perhaps we have not yet had time to see the long-term consequences of information becoming more difficult to commoditize -- maybe music, novels, and so forth will be produced with less frequency in the future -- but right now I feel very blessed by the abundance of free information available to me.

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)